Monday, August 29, 2011

DH loved this recipe

My husband is a good sport about my crazy recipes. Even when I am ready to vomit he nicely says its not bad, okay, or is it okay with me, could he not eat have anymore/not finish what he has? "I really tried, honey." The last always makes me want to saw aw, okay, he just looks and sounds so cute.

I tried a recipe I found on a fellow Medifasters blog. It was set up for one person so I just winged it an made it to fill up a 9x13in baking pan (glass). I was starving when I started. It started with zucchini and yellow squash slices (I love my 9$ gadget! it was perfect!) on a pam-sprayed pan. I made a good inch, inch and a half-thick layer then you put a mixture of cooked ground meat tomato paste (important!) and spices. I used a jar of tomato sauce we had to save on extra items. Instead of mixing it I just layered everything. On top of the beef came cottage cheese (my first time using it) then shredded mozz and parm, but I left off the parm. Baked for 30 at 350*.

How it turned out, not bad at all, a definite keeper. It needed to bake a bit more, it was still kind of crunchy, but definately done. The sauce turned to water, and we lost the flavor, hence the original recipe calling for paste. Oops. Next time maybe bake until cooked, then layer on to melt the cheese. Who known. All I worried was if DH liked it, and he kept asking for me. Since it was all veggies (and cheese, ok fine) I said sure. I had 2 portions which I think might have been technically 1 portion.

Here is it, thanks to Sandy
http://www.lighterrecipes.com/2011/05/italian-ground-beef-squash-casserole.html



Italian Ground Beef Squash Casserole
Ingredients:
2.50 oz cooked 93% lean ground beef or ground turkey (.50 Lean)
1/3 cup 2% reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded (.33 Lean)
1/4 cup 1% cottage cheese cheese (.17 Lean)
1/4 cup tomato puree, canned (1 Green)
1/2 cups sliced zucchini (1 Green)
1/2 cups sliced yellow squash (1 Green)
1/8 tsp garlic powder (.50 Condiment)
1/8 tsp salt (.50 Condiment)
1/2 tsp basil (.50 Condiment)
1 tsp reduced fat parmesan cheese (.33 Condiment)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with pam and set aside. Brown ground meat and measure out 2.50 oz cooked. Reserve any extra ground meat for another dish.

Combine tomato puree, garlic powder, salt, basil and oregano until well blended. Pour tomato sauce over ground meat and stir until combined.

Layer zucchini and yellow squash at the bottom of the casserole dish. Pour ground beef mixture over squash. Spread cottage cheese over the meat mixture and then sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top. Bake for 25 minutes.
* Note: You can use 99% lean ground meat but you will need 3.5 oz and 1 healthy fat

1 Serving with 1 Lean Option, 3 Greens, 2 Condiments per serving and No Healthy fat required.


1 comment:

  1. Oh ps. it looked much better than that picture when in a square so you can see the colors and layers.

    ReplyDelete